Sunday, October 5, 2008

This city is freakin cold.


I am wearing a wool turtleneck, jeans, sneakers, and a jacket. And I am still freakin' cold. Boston--at least, BU's campus--has an invitingly crisp air. Being a block from the Charles River, there's a perpetual breeze as I walk to/fro the library, the student union, the bank, the coffee shop. It's nice, but I am deathly afraid of when winter comes rolling around. Even walking to the laundromat might seem like a trek to the Antarctic Circle.

I've lately been craving soups, and I just had my second lunch/first dinner of turkey rice/butternut squash soup from the student union. I don't know, I've also been eating like a madman recently, and I think it's because of the running (this week I clocked in 45 miles). I wish this marathon (Nov 2) would just run itself.

I've been setting up camp at BU's Law Library--if only to get closer to you, Annie!--but really because the arts & humanities library doesn't allow you to bring beverages. So, every day I spent some 6-9 hours in Pappas, and I keep running into this kid I went to undergrad with. He knows I'm not in the law school, and I literally see him EVERY SINGLE DAY, and I think he thinks I'm stalking him (even though he looks vaguely inbred). Or that he thinks I'm some kind of law school hanger-on, as I gaze wistfully at the flyers announcing booze cruises, legal improv groups, Sex Ed quiz bowls, and IP happy hours. As well you know, Annie, I became something of a BLS groupie, but that period of my life was short-lived, and it was only when you were chaperoning.

But damnit, the chairs here are so comfy!

Maybe next semester I should start frequenting the business library, if only so I can rub shoulders with people computing present value annuities and internal rates of return (IRR, for those with a financial calculator). Sigh. A girl can dream.


(photo credit: www.jochen-dieckfoss.com)

No comments: