Thursday, October 9, 2008

Anatomy of a Day in Boston

Can I describe my yesterday? Eat, sleep, work, drink one beer with a friend of a friend, back to work, can't sleep, do more work, sleep.

9:45am Wake up, go to the bathroom, eat cereal, go to the bathroom again, pack lunch.
10:20am Arrive at library with laptop, 2 notebooks, 2 novels, 2 short stories (mine), 2 short stories (other people's), 2 essays I am writing, plus 30 pages of literary criticism to read. will I get through all of this? no.

10:20-12:15pm: Work on a detailed outline for a new novel I'm writing.

12:15-12:17pm: Eat lunch #1-- a microwaved egg on a piece of whole wheat toast.

12:18-2:45pm: Start to write my statement of purpose for Fulbright, detailing a timeline of my proposed research, and a list of academic sponsors.

2:45-2:55pm: Eat lunch #2-- Leftover congealed vat of turkey chili from last Thursday night (see post under VP debate)

2:55-4:00pm: Return to writing the novel outline. Eek out one word at a time for the Statement of Purpose. THrow metaphorical hands up in the air.

4:00-4:10pm: Caffeine break-- run out to buy a cup of decaf.

4:10-6:00pm: Resume work. Ignore revising one of my short stories altogether--too frazzled; thinking about Fulbright application.

6:00-6:05pm: Feel guilty for not running my miles today, esp on a beautiful day.

6:06-6:44pm: Resume work.

6:45pm Leave the library. Head home, regroup, change clothes, drink water.

7:15 Board the T to Somerville. Read 15 pages of Jane Austen's Mansfield Park.

8:00pm Arrive at the Burren Pub, to meet Jessi's lovely friend Mara, a dietician. Jessi set us up on a playdate. Spoke of our mutual love of Ireland and Catholic guilt, as well as masochism involved in running.

9:40pm Leave the Burren to head back to BU. Read another 15 pages of Jane Austen's Mansfield Park on the T.

10:35pm Eat dinner-- a chicken wrap from Campus Convenience. Eat it alone while staring at my laptop, in the empty dining halll of the student union.

10:55pm Get kicked out of the Student Union. Arrive at the Arts & Humanities Library.

11:55pm Get kicked out of the library. Head home.

12:10-4:45am: Answer emails, write email asking profs to write recs on my behalf, reach out to orphanages in Korea (as part of my research), make a date for next Sept '09 to visit said orphanage in Korea. Finish writing draft 1 of 2 Fulbright essays.

4:45-6:30am: In bed, can't sleep. So I read one of my classmates' short stories, and write detailed comments.

6:35-10:20am: Finally, SLEEP! Perchance to dream... about work. Which is exactly what I did.

10:20am: Wake up for class. Rinse, lather, repeat.

2 comments:

Landi said...

So two things:

4:00-4:10pm: Caffeine break-- run out to buy a cup of decaf.
-I can't imagine that drinking decaf is a terribly successful strategy for a caffeine break.

and-

12:10-4:45am: make a date for next Sept '09 to visit said orphanage in Korea.
-that date better not be Sept. 13 :-)

P courtst@ said...

Don't you worry, Jess. I am doing my best to avoid any Bridezilla attacks.