Saturday, October 11, 2008

Gatecrashin', Racin', and Other Random Tidbits, Boston-style



So I know nothing about this beloved American pastime, nor the fixation it holds on the general college-attending public, but today I crashed a UMass-Amherst alumni tailgating party. My friend Carolynn (us, pictured above) was in town, and her mother helped plan the pre-party for the UMass-Northeastern football game. It took place at the Best Western on Longwood Ave--about a 10min walk from my apartment. There were sliders, chicken satay skewers, sweet potato french fries, platanos, chili, corn bread, a vat of cheese dip, a fruit spread, a cash bar.... all at 10:30am in the morning. I was like a kid in a candy store; I feasted on various protein items of the BBQ nature.

I didn't make it to the actual game--I was just there for the food. I actually had to head back to the library, where I spent the greater part of the afternoon reteaching myself how to draw a PPF curve, and then trying to teach Microsoft Word how to draw said curve. I am working on a story about graduates from Wharton, so charts and graphs appear abundantly throughout the text.

Funny enough, it's nearly 11pm on a Saturday night, and I am still tweaking that stupid graph. Maybe I'll throw in some supply + demand graphs too, for good measure.

Tomorrow morning I am going to crash the Boston Athletic Association's Half-Marathon race. It starts at 8am, and they are not accepting any new members. The trail goes along the Emerald Necklace , so it should be interesting. Especially since I'm going to show up without a bib number or a chip. The second time this weekend I'm gatecrashing.

I'm signing off with an old pic of me and Annie, after the BLS 5k in Central Park. Incidentally, Annie won third place in this race.

No comments: