Friday, October 17, 2008

More family time in Boston

My brother (top, to the right), my cousin Phillip (top to the left), and my cousin Spencer (second photo, with the cap) came to visit Boston! Well, they were actually here for a natural food convention, but my cousins Jeannie (second photo, glasses) and thought it was just an excuse for them to see us =).

We went to Ginza, a Japanese restaurant in Brookline, conveniently half a block from my apt. Why is Japanese food in Boston so freakin expensive? We asked for a sushi boat, and they only gave us a little boat. We asked for a bigger boat. They don't give bigger boats.

Next we went to an old man bar called O'Leary's, also conveniently one block from me. We walked into the middle of some Irish folk band, and we were the youngest people there by about 2 generations. Their Sam Adams' Boston Lager was kind of skunky. So we hightailed it out of there, and headed to a bar right next door called Beacon St Tavern, where thankfully there were some youngish people. Everyone's eyes were fixed on the debate. Unfortunately, we were catching the tail end of it, so I was sorry that we missed the drama. I continue to be surprised by how nice people are here. As I wedged my way up to the bar, this guy--who was sitting with two girls, so it couldn't have been motivated by anything but kindness, I think--was like, "Oh, do you need room?" and he scooted over so I could order. Who does that? Well, I do that, but no one ever does that for me back in NY. I was pleasantly surprised.

On a separate note.... YAY! I finished my Fulbright application. Well, I'm still waiting for one more rec to come in the mail--fingers crossed that it will arrive by Monday--and I have to pick up my foreign language exam results in about an hour. But... I submitted it all online electronically, and hallefreakinlujah. Now back to my real school work.

No comments: