Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Bleh! Missives from the BU library

This blog seems to be a repository for my kvetching re school work. Am writing to you all now from the theology library, as I feel like I've overstayed my welcome at the law library. If there is such a thing as a library "whore," I am it. I've hit up four of them so far, just like 5 more to go. I was up till 5:30 this morning writing a paper on Ian Watt and formal realism, and I also just turned in a paper re Great Expectations. So, as you can probably imagine, I am--as ever--running on fumes. Speaking of running, Boston is grey and overcast today, so my Tues night running dates with a former colleague at MIT Press might have to be postponed.

Speaking again of running-- When my mother came up to visit Columbus Day wknd, she noted the speckled coloring on my face. I had been clocking in a number of miles outdoors for the past couple of months (what with, oh I don't know, training for a little something called the freaking NYC marathon), and I don't really wear sunscreen because the stuff keeps running into my eyes. The result: the tan on my face is (hopefully only a little) uneven. My mother took one look at me and was like, "You need to eat more Vitamin C. That's why your face looks like that" and she shoved a Ziploc bag of the tablets into my hands. Then my father said, "Patty-ah, we should have brought you some vegetables," before unloading a cooler's worth of apples, olives, and frozen meat into my fridge.

The Korean grocer parents that they are, they're very concerned with both the things that go in as well as the things that come out of my body. Most parents ask, "How was your day?" or "What did you learn in school?" My mother starts conversations at the dinner table like, "What shape was your stool this morning?" She wants to know the consistency, color, and frequency of said stool, and then she prescribes little homeopathic remedies, like not eating any white-colored foods, or making sure my head points to the North when I go to sleep at night. Her advice comes straight out of a Medieval spell book.

Anyway, this is all just a means of saying: I will unfortunately have to make do with the speckled tan, as the weather in Boston has gotten pretty cold, and I don't see myself laying out in a bikini on a grassy knoll anytime soon. Short of visiting a tanning salon, I will have to wait until a possible trip to South Beach...? or just deal with it.

I'm running off to class shortly, so I can talk about free indirect discourse and how it applies to Jane Austen and a little critic named D.A. Miller, so signing off for the moment... Cheers!

No comments: