Friday, October 17, 2008

Boston: Thai Food, Random Sing-Along Piano Bars


So my brother, cousins, and I went out for Thai food tonight at this place called Montien, in the theatre district, on Stuart off of Tremont. The food was pricey for Thai food--I mean, come on, 13 bucks for pad thai?--but it was still decent. Also, it was kind of weird that this place also served sushi, too. The last thing I'd want for my sushi chef to be in Thai (no offense). It's just that you can't leave the handling of raw fish to just anybody.

Since I've been marathon training, though, I've been eating like a freakin cow, it's kind of ridiculous. I've also lately been craving sugar and sweets very badly--something is very wrong with me.

We were with my underaged cousin and her friend, so we came upon the dilemma of where to go afterwards. We literally spent about 30-45min hemming and hawing about where to go--should we try the bars near my apt, where I haven't been carded? Is it going to be tough for a Friday night? What should we do? I caught a glimpse of a Paulaner umbrella just down the block on Stuart, so I suggested we check it out. We stumbled into this this huge, high-ceilinged bar called Jacob Wirth that reminded me of JG Mellon's on the UES. Apparently it was their Friday night sing-along. There was this huge group of 20 something people gathered around this old guy at the piano, singing show tunes and Elton John and the like. And at each table, there was a song book with lyrics. It was like live karaoke. They also had a beer menu of 30+ brews, including $8 Bud Light pitchers. Sold! Um, it was just the kind of awesome, campy thing that could never exist somewhere as cynical as NY. It's like, people were unapologetically singing to Les Mis or Billy Joel or whatever. I bet there were at least a few college acappella groups in the general audience.

Anyway, I'm about to pass out soon--tomorrow is my running group's first birthday, and there's promise of a keg of Blue Moon at 11:30 in the AM...

No comments: