Saturday, October 4, 2008

Bay St Underground, Chicken Dancing Contests, Etc

Last night I went to a poetry/fiction reading with the Bay St Underground, which is this monthly literary reading, featuring BU's MFA alums. The founders of this literary journal called Quick Fiction was there--they basically publish fiction that's 500 words or less. I liked this idea, because it made for short, easy-to-digest writing, which lent itself especially well to a performance setting.

There were some people from my program there, and afterwards about a dozen of us headed to the BU Pub. Afterwards, I made a short stumble to the 7-Eleven (the only thing that's open here past 9pm), then got home around 2, before waking up and running 6 miles with my new running group.

I think I'm adjusting okay to my new life here. Yeah, it sucks that my closest friends are no longer one subway ride away, and that you're kind of obligated to make friends out of the people you happen to be placed with in the program. Don't get me wrong--everyone is really nice; it's just that I have to start from scratch here.

A girl in my running group today told me about this festival hosted by the Harpoon Brewery. Diane will attest to our love of their IPA, so I was intrigued. Right now there's a Chicken Dancing Contest going on. Unfortunately, I am stuck at the library, so I will not get to partake in any chicken dancing, German Cake Eating Contests, or German oompa bands.

Tonight, after I finish banging out a first draft of this story I'm working on, I think I will have a date with Mansfield Park and a vat of congealed chili (leftovers from a VP debate viewing party I attempted to host). Johnny Lee Miller: HOT.

(Images from toothpastefordinner.com and mywebhopserver.peterhenley.com, www.ew.com, resp.)

No comments: