Saturday, November 15, 2008

A Rainy, Run-Around Kind of Day


Hey hey,
So last night my rooommate and her girlfriends from Somers and I went out for Mexican, to Sol Azteca just a few doors down from our apt. The food was good but their sangria was bad--it was sweet and sludgy, with no pieces of fruit to spear out. We then headed across the street to Taberna de Haro, an always-packed Spanish (not Latino) tapas bar, where we had more sangria and some desserts. Which included chocolate truffles with sea salt and olive oil. Weirdest concept ever, until you took a bite--the salt and oil created a briny film that enhanced the bittersweet dark chocolate flavor.

My roommate had the most orgasmic expression on her face, so now we are planning to make ghetto versions of it for Xmas, where it will NOT cost us ten bucks for 3 little truffles. We also had flan (eh--never was a big fan of it), this weird dish called zurracapote, which is like a plum compote with creme anglaise--not exactly my cup of tea--and pudin, or pudding. Then Sheila and I had a nightcap at Beacon St Tavern, where we gossiped about academia, literature, and boys, before we called it a night.

Today was pretty interesting. I met with my running club at 10:30 this morning, and we all had breakfast at this guy's house afterwards. But then some people started an impromptu Ultimate Frisbee game, and you knew I had to get it on it. We played 3 on 3-- 4 guys, 2 girls, so of course that means a TON of running--and I was running my head off like a dog, diving for the disc here and there, was covered with mud, and pretty much had the most awesome time ever. And it was still only 1pm on a Saturday afternoon. A bunch of the guys from the group are going to this bar/club in Cambridge called Middlesex tonight, for this girl's birthday party. It's one of those things where you're like, should I go? Was I necessarily invited? I mean, the birthday girl--whom I met officially that day--was like, you all should come! So, if my tentative drink plans with my friend Vince and his BU lawyer friends fall through, then I will just crash this party and hope that people recognize me when I'm not wearing sweaty gym clothes and a ponytail.

Making friends here is pretty interesting, because everyone's so friendly (so far), and there are a billion different activities going on at once. It's more a matter of keeping my eyes on the prize, you know? Like, if I have one big night out, that means I'll be drinking, which means I'll probably eat crap late at night, and then the next day I'll be sluggish, and I can't get much work done. Wah wah wah.

One of my authors from RH is setting me up on a play date with her cousin who lives in Cambridge, and we're meeting for coffee tomorrow afternoon. Sans the author. I find it so refreshing that people here are willing to do this kind of thing (like Jessi's really cool friend Mara!). Part of me kind of laments that I'll only be here for one year--just as I'm warming up, getting into the groove, I'll have to pick up and go again. So it goes!

(The photo above doesn't look quite like what we ordered, but it's close enough. Photo courtesy of aidanbrooks.blogspot.com)

No comments: