Monday, November 17, 2008

Brrr--It's Getting Cold Round These Parts!

After the freakishly wet, freakishly warm front of Saturday, Boston has officially become cold. Tonight's getting down to 27 degrees--can you freakin believe--and tomorrow's high is 40, plus wind chill. I had a fairly mediocre day today. I put myself to bed last night at 12:30, yet I slept until almost 11am this morning. I have no idea why I was so tired. Oh wait, actually I do--I was making up for Saturday night. But even still--that was kind of ridiculous. I wrestled with BU Dental School on the phone all morning (rather, what was left of the morning), trying to figure out if I should do the student dental plan--$300 for the year, but it covers two $50 cleanings and a mandatory X-ray consultation. Meanwhile, I have crazy work I need to get done on one of my teeth, which will cost me $500-1000. So I emailed my dentist back in NY (we are on a first-name, emailing basis because I've parted with thousands of dollars to him) to see if I could try to cram in all of my work over Xmas break (he charges 3x what the dental school charges, however).

Anyway, I had my revision workshop with Allegra Goodman (she walks the fine line between literary and commercial fiction, and I really admire her writing), ran 3 miles at the gym, lifted some free weights, came home, showered, heated up a Trader Joe's burrito, had some microwave/steamed brussel sprouts, and headed to the library. Where I'm at now. Actually, I just ran out in the freezing cold--sans jacket--to buy a can of diet Pepsi so I could resume revisions on this short story I'm working on...it's called "Pound Foolish" and it's about these two cousins that are kind of in competition. The narrator comes from the kind of penny-pinching family that eats bruised apples and dented cans of tuna fish, and has to wear hand-me-down clothes, while her cousin lives in this huge house in Long Island, and gets as many My Little Pony dolls as her heart desires, and she's kind of JAPpy (even though she's Korean). They go to the mall together (but not like the Canadian pop star "Robin Sparkles'" hit song "Let's Go to the Mall"), and the cousin buys all of this expensive BCBG clothing, while the narrator looks on (she don't got her parents' credit cards to burn). Also, the narrator is super jealous of her cousin because she's prettier, cooler, and more popular, and she gets invited to more bar/bat mitzvah's then she does, and has lots of boyfriends. But in actuality, the cousin is also jealous of the narrator because she's smarter, and her parents don't fight all the time, etc etc.

God, I just bored myself with that description. Needless to say, most of my writing is a thinly veiled account of my own life, because it's just SO interesting that it deserves to be made into literature. Sheesh.

Well, back to plugging on--wish me luck!

No comments: