Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Economics 'n Beer


Okay, so I'm a little tipsy as I write this, having had a Jameson--neat--and a few pints of Ipswich ale--but I'm feeling better about things here in Boston. I can totally hear you, Annie, about missing the Fall air quality--while New England seems to get the same kind of damp-leaf-crisp-air smell, it's still not the same as NYC. There's maybe a wistful (?) feeling in the air... I don't know. It makes me a little sad.

Speaking of NYC comparisons, I just had drinks with my Swat friend Vince, who tells me I need to stop the NYC--Boston comparison already. He's been here straight from undergrad--incidentally, he also went to BU, but for law school. In an even more bizarre turn of events, I crashed an anniversary party in NY a few months back, and he went to law school with every single person in attendance. He probably would have been at the party if not for his work schedule. Small world. Anyway, Vince is an economist turned lawyer, and I actually had him vet one of my short stories (we took micro together). I had a protagonist who would wonder whether the guys she was dating would assess her based her marginal utiliy. I even inserted a little PPF curve into the story--unfortunately the image I belabored over--below--doesn't get reproduced correctly =(.

Anyway, the pic above is courtesy of Yelp--we met at Audobon Circle, which has a great Geary's on tap, but does not do much in the way of their vaguely Asian-fusion menu. It's conveniently 2 blocks from my apt, though, so I may have to visit again. As it were, the BU pub is getting a little old, especially as I'll be back there Thurs night with my class....

Quantitative Assessment of Fun Produced at Party X








Text Box: Talking with someone else


Text Box: Production Possibilities Frontier (PPF) Curve




x-axis



1 comment:

Annie said...

im all about the comments tonight. (a) your right, the graph didnt come out (b) formatting on this thing is annoying as hell sometimes anyway (c) what does you friend even know, 'dont compare ny & boston'. how can you NOT? granted, if i walked around here comparing it with ny all the time, id die, because theres really so little the two places have in common. you just are experiencing it as you best can! go with it!