Sunday, November 9, 2008

Cape Wknd!

Hey Annie--
I'm so happy you and Heather had an awesome weekend in Miami. It's so good to catch up with our girlfriends, no? I was so giddy when I went back home last wknd and saw Diane, Chava, Jessi, and (albeit briefly) Morgan--when you're used to seeing your friends on a weekly basis, the absence of some 3 months feels so much longer.

Your story about the South Beach club was hilarious--it seems like just the kind of place you have to go to at least once, cheese and all. And you totally called it on those Euro guys! I would think that Heather would at least have some sympathy towards those Hungarian guys, what with that other Hungarian volleyball player/doctor.

Anyway, my weekend was pretty relaxing--I went to a poetry reading Fri night with my roommate, then just went to a bar, where we met up with some other people. They had blueberry beer on tap--that basically made my night! I was up Sat morning at 8:30 to do a 7.5 mile run with my friend/colleague Rebecca, and then I was off to the Cape.

Dan, one of my classmates, invited all 9 of us fiction writers to his family's house in Falmouth. It was about a 2 hr drive from Boston, and the town was so cute--we had lunch at this place called Liam Gallag--I mean, Liam Maguire's Pub. We walked along the ocean, then went back to the house, where we played a pretty intense game of Cranium (my team kicked some ass, of course). Dan grilled rib eye steaks with a chipotle rub and hot and sweet sausages, Jill made a chick pea stew, Farley made salad and roasted brussel sprouts, Niki made guac, Joe made an artichoke dip, and we had a lot of Harpoon IPA and Malbec by the roasting fire.

Everyone in my group is really nice--I mean, I don't think any of us will end up BFF's, but at least we all seem to respect each other's writing (...though I've yet to figure out one of my classmates, who refuses to write about anything else but Communist orgies and pre-adolescent rural incest).

I got zero work done all weekend, but I also get Veteran's Day off--I'll be making up for lost time then.

6 out of 9 of us. We make an eclectic bunch, I think.
The house.

No comments: