Saturday, December 13, 2008

P: Who Da Wimp?

I da wimp. Not only was I planning to do a 5mile run with my running group this morning, I also was going to do the Santa Speedo Race this afternoon. I woke up to my alarm, and...decided to pack up my laptop and notebook, and head straight to the library instead. Incidentally, on my walk there, I saw 50 of the runners from my group whiz by (they didn't see me).

Why am I still in the library (8 hrs later)? I thought I was done for the semester! What happened to the final papers that I handed in, the final short stories that were all due in one big flurry? I don't know, but I'm working on revising some of these short stories while they're still fresh in my head. Ultimately, they will be part of the 100page thesis I turn in in August, so I figured now's about a good a time as any to get cracking on them. Before I sit on my butt and twiddle my thumbs back in NY.

So Brian H. of RPI fame (whom I'm connected to via both my roomie Sheila and Diane!!!) ended up doing the race today, and he, Sheila, their childhood friend Amy, and I met for coffee by campus. Apparently the race was super cold for Speedo-running--24 degrees, with a real feel temp of 14 degrees. So maybe I dodged a bullet there. It wasn't the cold that deterred me--it was because I hit the zone with my writing, and you really can't compromise that. Or if you do, then you end up kicking yourself for not having done the writing. Instead, I was kicking myself for not having exercised, thereby ruining what would have been a 13 day streak of back to back exercise/running. I was trying to go for 3 weeks of 7x a week of running between Thanksgiving and Xmas, so I wouldn't have to worry about being home and vegging out.

Anyway, this extra running and/or the cold weather is doing weird things to my body. Like today, I ate 3 meals in 4 hours. And I have been craving sweets like crazy all week.
It also made me eat a quarter gallon of kimchi--by myself--in the span of one week. Also, I tripped and fell flat on my knees THREE TIMES this month so far (while stone-cold sober), and I've been talking to myself up the whazoo. I wish my body would calm the f* down and get with the program. So annoying!

Tomorrow morning I should be doing the Jingle Bell 5k in Somerville, then work, then my friend Ilana from Swat is passing through Boston, and we're meeting for coffee. Hopefully I'll get more work done thereafter.

Maybe I'm burnt out. Time to sign off--two more hours in the library before I head out. Super bummed to be missing Chava's party tonight, but I'll be back in NY in T-5 days, and will see her for Jessi's big labridoodle (Landibadeau) thanksgiving dinner...


P

No comments: