Friday, December 12, 2008

P: Cape Ann Yankee Swap

So, apparently tonight I ended up at a house party on Cape Ann. We passed through the picturesque fishing town of Gloucester (which seemed lovely enough by night; I'm sure it's better during the day), and landed in Rockport, a quiet little town that felt so New Englandy, I almost felt shivers inside.

My friend CHristine from Swat invited me to her friend's house, and it was a small get together--maybe 14 people at the max, but we all crowded around the POTBELLY STOVE--how cute is that? and they had a real, pine Christmas tree, and stockings hanging from the mantle (we don't have stockings in our house), and blocks of cheese and crackers, and ham croquettes, and latkes, and whiskey-spiked eggnog (which I didn't drink, as I'm generally leary of sugary, creamy alcoholic beverages), and this really interesting local brew from Cape Ann Brewery, called Fisherman's Brew, which I thought was very tasty.

Anyway, I also attended my first Yankee swap, and I got to choose first, which is the best spot to be. I'm way too tired to post the rules here (it's 2:30am), but anyway I made out like a bandit--I got a fancy fondue set, complete with a double-burner, 6 individual cups, and a whole tray. I'm told I just need to buy Heet (?) at a gas station, and I'm good to go.

Exhausted--had a long day of writing, playing my first game of racquetball (most fun, ever!), goofing off at home, and then heading to Cambridge (nearly 1hr) to get a ride to Rockport (1+ hrs). So, I should go to sleep now if I have any hope of running with my group...

G'night, and yes, Annie--I'll try to enjoy the full moon!

love,
Patty

No comments: