Thursday, December 18, 2008

Last Boston Post of 2008!

In embracing the 21st century, I am taking advantage of my twenty dollar Boltbus ticket and am using its (albeit intermittent) wi-fi services. So I guess you could say it's been an interesting couple of days. Yesterday my roommate Sheila and I went to St. Paul's church in Beacon Hill for a lunchtime Handel's Messiah sing-along. We've been talking about doing one for the past FIVE YEARS since our days at Columbia University Press, so we finally bit the bullet and ventured out. It was barely above 20 degrees, with icy rain, but still we made it there, scores in-hand. I also forget that I barely know the verses, especially as the alto part is all over the place, and it keeps starting up at random places in the score (not in relation to the other voices). Soto get the alto parts, you have to have both perfect pitch AND be awesome at arithmetic, to count out all of the measures. Anyway, for the rest of the afternoon, I had the contralto aria "O Thou That Tellest Good Tidings to Zion" in my head--not a bad way to spend the day.

Oh, did I mention that they didn't ice the stairs near my apartment, so I slipped (AND I was wearing hiking boots), flew into the air, and fell hard on my ass? It actually would've been pretty funny if it didn't hurt so much. Also, I was so paranoid re having damaged my lappity top. (Knock on wood.)

Some people from Swat were heading to Do-Re-Mi for Korean karaoke last night, but I bailed, blaming my thesis. And the 18 degree rainy weather. And laundry. And tidying up my freakin apartment. And packing. So I did all of that, curled into bed with The Emperor's Children, a novel by Claire Messud which I'm really enjoying, then fell to bed at 3.

Was up at 6:30am this morning for one last 6ish run with Rebecca. I showered, headed to the library where I tried to bang out 3 last hours of work, then boarded the bus. Here I am.

Off to the dentist, and then many, many meal dates, including LANDIBADEAU THANKSGIVING! and Xmas lights in Dyker Heights, and... a big, long, awkward talk on Christmas Day with my sister, with my parents moderating. She called me in hysterics on Monday while I was at the library. SHe was pissed that I hadn't called her since Nov 2, when I rang to congratulate her on her second pregnancy, and she proceeded to chew me out about taking a photo of her son while they were x-ing the street. She said i endangered the life of her child, I had no respect for her wishes, and that I was not to be trusted with children whatsoever. Anyway, this time around my sister was mad that I didn't call to follow up to apologize, and she said, "Do me a favor, Patty. Don't talk to me AT ALL during Christmas. I don't care what the f*** you get me. You are the biggest, self-centered, most selfish person I know, and you have made ZERO effort."

My parents finally said they would moderate, although they're offering now two years too late. Should make for a wonderful holiday season--can't hardly wait!!!

No comments: