Wednesday, December 3, 2008

One More Day in the Life in Boston; What the Hell

*I AM IN FINALS MODE*

6:50am Hit snooze

6:58am Climb out of bed frantically, pull on super warm running clothes, curse the day, curse the fact that I only got 5.5 hours of sleep.

7:03-8:10am Run to Cambridge, meet my former boss' boss' boss at Columbia for a run along the Charles. Freezing and sweating at the same time--ripe conditions of pneumonia.

8:15-9:00am Shower, do last night's dishes, pack my breakfast + lunch, pack my laptop and bag.

9:05am-12:00pm Eat peanut butter, sunflower seeds, and honey on rye while belaboring introductory PARAGRAPH of my Jane Eyre paper. Note to self: superimpose musical jargon over my paper re duplicitous, disparate narrative voices (the priggish Victorian conduct book voice and the independent, modern, Feminist prototype voice).

12:00-12:30pm Nuke veggie burger, cabbage and rice; eat while rereading the aforementioned paragraph.

12:30-2:00pm Rewrite all of my writing on the paper from yesterday. Eat banana.

2:00-2:20pm Decaf coffee break (I know, I know, decaf does not coffee make, except for me--makes me jittery). Email break.

2:20-3:20pm More rewrites/additions to paper. 10 pages down; 5-10 more to go.

3:20-3:30pm Wrestling with printouts at the computer lab ($#@!$)

3:30pm-4:15pm Treat myself to a goof-off at home....but what is this? NO GOSSIP GIRL on cwtv.com?! NOooooooooooo!
Eat lunch #2 (frozen dumplings, rice, and peas) while settling on watching NBC's Chuck. Still hungry after second lunch-- wtf?!

4:15-8:15pm Revise existing draft of paper. Debate word choices for hours: do I say "the two voices engage in a counterpoint moment," or "contrapuntal harmony," or "polyphonic counterpoint," or "suspended counterpoint," "contrapuntal dialogue," "dialogic counterpoint?"

More debating: contemporaneous Vs. contemporary? inevitable Vs. invariable? Converge or conflate? Bildungsroman or Kuntslerroman?

8:15-10:00pm Head to Audubon Circle with my friend Paul. Sadly my Korean bartender buddy's not there, so no girly drinks. Two pints of Ipswich ale.

10:00-10:20pm at Johnny's Fresh Market; looking for a snack/dinner. Spend the whole time gazing at nutrition labels, then default to the unhealthiest option--pasta, chicken, broccoli (in a cream sauce. eep).

10:25-10:55pm Eat said dinner/snack while watching episode 1, season 1 of Arrested Development. So good. Sigh.

10:55-11:07pm Waste time on Facebook.

11:07--midnight? Finish revising first draft of paper; will tackle the remaining 5 more pages to write tomorrow...

SCENE.

2 comments:

Diane said...

now patty, it seems like you operate on a schedule on the 10 or 15 minute of the hour. But what happened early in the morning, 6:58, 7:03 and at night 11:07...

Annie said...

hang in there P. before you know it, youll be HALF done with grad school. (!!!!). is that right?

also--- dont worry about the language when you get the first draft down. you can always tinker later. thats my best and only piece of advice since i didnt understand half of the literary terms you were using.

love ya!