Wednesday, April 29, 2009

P: Boston's Dorkier Version of a Night Out, ie, SPACE PROM

Annie:
While you guys were hobnobbing with Miami hotshots and sneaking into cabanas and drinking champagne, I was spending this past Saturday night attending Space Prom at a house party in Somerville. Where people were dressed in green face paint, Storm Trooper rental costumes, and there was even a Chewbacca. I went with my friend Amy, and we thought tin foil obi's were about as Space Prom-y as we could get:

Annie recognized this dress as the one I was eyeing at American Apparel, but it was so thin all the lines would show underneath. Thankfully I dug out the only thong from my dresser drawer that didn't pinch at the waist (TMI)?

Was it super dorky? Yes, it was. But then again, that's how Boston rolls. Incidentally, I met this kid at the party who was starting a start-up that was something like Twitter, but not, and he was telling me about this article written by Paul Graham (some internet guru dude), who said Cambridge was a city of ideas (whereas NY is a city of finance/$ and Silicon Valley is about power, etc). He fwd'd this article to me via his iphone. I am amazed by how technology works here. It was an interesting idea, but I thought Graham's article lacked empirical research. It kind of sounded a little like he was talking off the top of his head. Judge for yo'selves:
http://www.paulgraham.com/cities.html

Then Amy and I attempted to run 7.5 miles on Sunday.... in 85 degree heat and direct sun. Up and down the hills of Heartbreak Hill. I wanted to shoot myself--my legs were sore (maybe from the heels from the night before?) and they are still sore today. Even though I'm heading out shortly to meet my old colleague Rebecca for a 7 miler.

Oh, and I was up till 3:30am last night watching Project Runway on netflix and then woke up at noon today and consumed about 3 pounds of pasta since. So it goes!!!

4 comments:

Annie said...

hahaha! i love the dichotmy here. your outfits were fabu, even if you happened to be wearing them at a space prom. oh you boston kids. xoxo

Mirz said...

Nice gams!

Mirz said...

Graham has an interesting idea, but once you really get to know different aspects of a place, it does become harder to "sloganize" it.

P courtst@ said...

I like that term--"sloganize." Yeah, I wasn't sure what to make of his article, but it only goes to show that you end up at a Space Prom-themed party in Cambridge and end up talking about an article that says Cambridge is a city of ideas. Practice in action, perhaps.