Wednesday, April 8, 2009

mom + miami = awesome

this week is just flying by! Mostly because every day when i get off work, i have something to look forward to: my mom as my playmate! Total mary jane time. Monday afternoon mom & bob arrived, and I scooped them up at the hotel, and we all went for a nice walk while it was still light out, along the beach, on the wooden boardwalk. Their first night in, they wanted to sample some seafood, so we went to this little wee hole in the wall place right on collins and about 69th street, called ‘fifi’s.’ i know, right? Low expectations normally, but i’ve walked by and thought about it so often, and heard some good reviews (one last weekend on the beach, actually), that we decided to try it.

Unbelievable. They only serve whatever looked best that day, and when you pick what kind of fish you want, they bring it out to you so you can look at it before they fillet it and cook it for you (or, you could have it whole, if you preferred...). they started us with some on-the-house crispy rock shrimp; then mom & i had local-florida pompano, grilled and amazing; bob had lobster; and we all had tons of beans, rice, avocado salad, wine; and it was all followed up with flan (also on-the-house). Totally delectable. I dont even *like* flan normally, and this was out of control. All of it was.

Afterwards, they briefly came over to see the apartment, and i made them take my sunhat, sunblock, and some flip flops for their first true vacay day; then dropped them off at their hotel for the night. Tuesday afternoon i got a call in the afternoon from mj, who proclaimed that she was bored, but that "this is what vacation is like, I guess." (Obviously she is my mother. Who else would get bored and antsy and fussy when shes used to running around all the time?). thankfully she relieved herself by taking some more walks before i was able to get them for dinner– Tuesday = cuban, the neighborhood stand-by. Also delicious, also too much food. We went back to their hotel and hung out for a bit before i then headed home.

And tonight? Next stop on the culinary tour is joe’s stone crab, the miami institution. I went once before, way back with some co-workers next door, but i am very much looking forward to tonight- (1) it wont be at 11pm, as it was last time, (2) i will therefore be able to eat dinner– i.e., more than a salad & several stone-crab legs, and (3) um hello, ill be with mj. Need i explain more?

Tomorrow im officially (and legally) taking the day off to hang all day with them, which will be really nice. We’ve got a little spa appointment for massages, and it should be warm again, about 80 and sunny and lovely- so it will be beach pool and more beach for this girl. (Its funny that i say ‘it should be warm again’, right? Well we had one of our ‘cold’ fronts this week which meant the past 2 days were only about 75 and at night, down to about 53. I know. Heaven forbid. I will be so intolerable next year, you wont even want to talk to me).

Yes, everything feels right in the world. I finally got my p.t. back from the mechanics, it isnt making weird shudder-noises or vibrations, and ive got fam in town. It like i rarely notice that i feel unbalanced in the family-sense down here, since i have more recently been keeping myself busy, but it really is so great to have them around and close. While i wouldnt say its something i take for granted back in the n.y.c., i definitely feel i can appreciate it all in bulk this week. (And of course it greatly makes me appreciate that my mom isnt insane, like other horror stories i hear, more and more frequently from my co-workers and new friends). I know, time to stop bragging. But remember. My mom loves to give hugs, so dont feel so left out.

And now, im off!

xoxo

1 comment:

MACMAN said...

I love Joe's Stone Crab, super yummy. I hope you might try some fun things to do too, like renting Jet Skis or Swimming with the dolphins in Miami, both are a blast.
Have a great Easter Break!!
God Bless,
John