Friday, January 2, 2009

P: First Post of 2009; Last NY Post Before the Holidays

Happy 2009! Question: Am I over New York? Or is it that my being under the weather (in crappy weather) has clouded my view of my native city? If I could see all of you everyday, then I'd dread leaving; however, much of my NY vaca was spent lying in bed, blowing my nose and generally feeling sorry for myself. Why? Life is good. But that hedonic treadmill keeps beckoning--to quote Wiki, it's the "theory which compares the pursuit of happiness to a person on a treadmill, who has to keep working just to stay in the same place". So like, if you buy a Toyota Camry, you're happy for like 6 months, but then you want a Lexus. So then you buy a Lexus, and you're happier for 6 months, but then you want a Maserati. And so forth, until you're out of breath on the treadmill.
(HEDONIC TREADMILL)

What does this have to do with my personal "happiness?" Not sure I can articulate it exactly, but I'm getting the sense that January is going to be one cold month. It's usually my most anti-social period, so that will suit well as I kick off into Ha Jin's novella class. I will shortly be emailing to him my proposal for 3 novella topics for his class. Eep.

New Year's Eve was (surprise surprise) pretty t/lame, BUT my expectations had been adjusted accordingly so I guess you couldn't call it anticlimactic (which it tends to be every single year). The highlight was getting to see my nephew, but he had just woken up and was a little frowsy and groggy. Two of you guys were down with food poisoning, the weather had a real feel temp of negative 5 degrees, and I also didn't want to end up at parties with just couples (was invited to a couples' potluck and also a diff party where there promised to be single people but one would include a friend who had a falling out with another friend of mine--I wished to avoid such potential drama/awkwardness), AND I didn't want to have to figure out how to get from Brooklyn back to Queens in (aforementioned) negative five degree weather when I still had the sniffles. So I figured I should spend time with the very people that gave birth to me: my parents. My family and I go to the movies about once every two years, and every single time, my parents fall asleep and start snoring--loudly--in the theatre. Or, my mother nudges me every five seconds to ask, "Eh, what did they just say?" And I have to translate loud enough so she can hear, and then Umma ends up falling asleep anyway.

So we saw Yes Man, and I have to say--I was pleasantly surprised. I actually quite enjoyed it, and I don't really like Jim Carrey. I do, however, really like Zooey Deschanel, although I cringed a little in all of their make-out scenes, for two reasons: (1) I was with my parents and (2) Jim Carrey is like, 20 years older than Zooey. Awk! (18 YEAR AGE DIFFERENCE--AWKWARD!)

I later realized Peyton Reed directed it, and then I got all happy--I am a SUCKER for his films. Down with Love? Bring It On? SIGH!
(PEYTON REED!)

We then snuck into Four Christmases, which had to be one of the WORST movies ever. I don't know what crack Tony Scott (i.e., A.O.) was smoking when he wrote this rather flattering NYT review. Anyway, I'm over it.

So it goes. I'm going to go pack my stuff, do laundry, and figure out when I'm heading back to Boston to do work. Happy New Year, everybody!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hedonic Treadmill... interesting. But as our good friend Barry Schwartz would say, you my dear, are a Maximizer

MAXIMIZER:

What is a maximizer? A maximizer is one who only seeks and accepts the best. They are the people who check out all the options before making any choice. They often take a long time before making a choice and will compare purchase decisions to choices others have made.

Even when they have made a choice, they worry that that was not the right option or may feel less satisfied and less positive with the choice they have made. They may also experience regret after a purchase or choice. Maximizers also don't cope with negative events well, take longer to recover from these events, and will ruminate about their experiences.

Many would think being a maximizer would be a good thing, but it can pay a price. A number of problems can occur with those who are maximizers, including feeling less happy, more regret, being more perfectionistic, and feeling an overload of choices. In the book, Sachwartz outlines a few studies that represented this.

Remember your mattress debacle?

Unknown said...

oh, i hope it's ok to link to this Patty, but your mattress buying post was kind of amazing:

http://thesupermarket.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2008-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&updated-max=2009-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=5

P courtst@ said...

Thanks Morgan--bless you for reading that whole mattress post. Barry Schwartz was one of my profs at Swat, so of course being a maximzer was a label i've long identified with =)