Monday, March 30, 2009

P: Quick Recap of last week!

So, I'm turning in another 50p this Wed, followed by another story due a week and a half later, and...then technically I'm done with all of my "writing" for the year. I just have to continue grading papers, critiquing my classmates' stories, etc, which comes out to about 200+ pages of reading a week. But it's totally manageable! So I just basically need to get through Wed and then the following Mon April 13, and I can breathe a semi-sigh of relief. Before--dum dum dum!--I have to revise extensively for my thesis.

Last week was somewhat interesting. In a bizarro coincidence, I met a couple in Miami--they were sitting next to us at the Sand Bar (I snapped a photo of them on that blog post). When they learned I was living in Boston/Brookline (the guy of the couple had just moved from Boston a few months back), Adam was like, you should totally meet my friend Nate! He lives in Brkline, and he's coming to Miami in a few days! The girl said, you should change your ticket and stay longer! And in one of these--oh they're totally not going to follow up--kind of way, Adam's like, give me your contact info, and I'll have my buddy email you. If only to get to know someone else in the neighborhood.

So I forked over my info on a napkin, thinking--oh, it could be nice to make a new friend in the area--but fully expecting flakiness to ensue. Low and behold, some three days later, I get an email from this Nate character. We talk a bit about the bars in the area, and we make plans to meet for a drink at Washin.gton Sq Tav.ern once he's back from Miami (he emailed before he even left for Miami). So we met last Wed, and he's really nice, and I'm just continually struck by how people in Boston seem to do follow-through. Like, this kid had never met me, so it's not like he had an ulterior romantic motive, per se--for all he knew, I could've looked like a dog. I just feel like this kind of thing would never happen in NY/among NYers. How many oodles of friends of friends do we know who've moved to NY, and we never have time/motivation to invite them out to do stuff? As Jessi would say, "the application process is closed." (My other favorite Jessi quote, from her father: "never show your contempt." indeed.)

This wknd was supposed to be low-key, because I'm in the midst of banging out these pages. And it was, pretty much. I mean, Wed night set me back because Nate and I had 4 beers apiece, and as i walked home (the T stopped running, so I walked the 2+ miles home), I found a late-night Chinese take-out place that my brother and I went to when he moved me up here in August. Perhaps I was struck by a sense of nostalgia/homesickness?, so I went and ordered chicken and broccoli, carried the stupid food back home the remaining 1.5 miles (in that whole walk on busy Beacon St, nothing was still open--it was 1am). So, I was all prepared to have a Friday night all to myself, watching "Kissing Jessica Stein" from my Netflix queue (it was cute) and making dinner (baked breaded chicken breasts and baked onion rings and Florida avocado (believe it or not, I still have it)). But my friend Alexis calls, and the playwrights are at the Lower Depths bar, and I pop over for one beer, which I nursed over the course of 2.5 hrs. I'm in bed by 1am, but I'm somehow struck with the munchies and can't fall asleep. So I eat leftovers from dinner, and I'm still hungry, and I'm like, this is f-ing ridiculous.

Sat: run 5 miles with Amy and our running club, chat with some people over breakfast/lunch, go to the library. Again, I was going to stay in and catch up on work and hulu videos, but my friend Adam and the poets were going to Om in Har. vard Sq. I've been to Om before (back in the Fall, for a bday party), and I'm kind of like, ugh, I don't feel like going, but I should, etc. So I pop over late, drink only water and get my dance on their dance floor for 45 minutes, and then I catch the bus home, followed by a 15min walk. Getting to Harvard is kind of a pain in the butt. It took me 45min to get home.

Sun: a beautiful day in Somer.ville's Davis Sq-- shout out, Jessi! I met Amy at Diesel, which is this coffee shop, at 9:30am, and we did work until 5pm, and then we went on a 4 mile run around Tufts U. Then Amy made stirfry, and my roommate Sheila came over, and we had a really nice dinner evening! By the time I got home, I was exhausted, so I put myself to bed at 10:15pm. But still I overslept my alarm for 7:15 and rolled out of bed an hour later.

So it goes.

Back to work in the library...

2 comments:

Landi said...

Yo I am all over this post! I heartily approve.

P courtst@ said...

What up, SOMERVILLE IN DA HOUSE!!!

Seriously, if I ever move back to Boston, I think I'd consider Davis Sq. Or maybe Central Sq. Or Back Bay, or Beacon Hill...