Sunday, February 8, 2009

P: Diane in Boston!

So I had the glorious pleasure of seeing one Diane Bing Sit in my new hometown today!!! Unfortunately I missed her early morning texts (err, by early I mean 11am), but we met for coffee on Charles St in Beacon Hill, and then wandered about Chinatown en route to South Station. Yes, there were roast pork buns involved. There is nothing like seeing an old friend in a new city.

YAY!

So I was back in NY for all of 18 hours this weekend. I treated myself to Amtrak on the way there; Fung Wah on the way back. It's funny; when I called Morgan re meeting up (I crashed at her place so I could get up early and go to my hair appt, before running back home for lunch in Douglaston), I was like, okay, my train's getting in at 10pm, and I'm hungry. Where can we go to get food? And Morgan's like, "Uh, Patty, it's NY. You can get food anywhere at that hour." And although I kind of knew this, I was just momentarily taken aback. Just because everything here closes super early.

Saw the whole fam for my dad's birthday, and man--my sister is REALLY pregnant. Like, tummy hanging over and shirt riding up and exposing a big pregnant belly. I can't wait to meet my new niece! Little Richard was, of course, adorable as ever, although he's 20 months and still isn't really talking. He'll say an occasional word here and there "Finish!" and when my mom and I were feeding him sweet potatoes, he said "hot!" And then he and I were playing Badook, which is a Korean "chess" game that has these round black and white pieces like that Chinese game "Go." And then little Richard thinks it's hilarious to dump the whole jar of pieces all over the floor, and kick them every which way, before he shoveled them back into the jar. And it was in this moment, as I was staring at my little Amerasian nephew, tousling his hair, and I thought: okay, I could see myself doing this. One day, I could consider procreating and popping out an adorable little kid. You guys know my theory of childbearing = narcissism; so this was really a ground-breaking (albeit fleeting) moment that I had.

Shocking!

Last night I made it back to Boston for my poet friend Adam's birthday. We went to Beacon St Tavern, which I seem to go to every week now. As it's a half block from my apt, I guess it's pretty apt. Anyway, somehow the night ended up with a bunch of us going to some kid's loft apartment near Fenway, and it was kind of ghetto. Like, they had tarp over the ceillings, and there were people living in closets and the like. And the only thing to drink was bad gin and apple juice (of which I could not take part). Anyway, I ended up stumbling back home and made it to bed closer to 6am, which left me completely knackered and out of it all day today. Which meant no novella writing.

I guess to atone for the lack of work done this wknd, I will have no choice but to be uber-productive all week...

-P

1 comment:

hanayeol said...

invite you to my baduk blog
http://hanayeol.blogspot.com